Thursday, May 1, 2014

Wednesday, April 30th

I wasn't prepared for how much Scotland would mean to me.

I had always gravitated to my Irish roots. I knew I was Scottish, but my interest usually went toward Ireland.

Ireland, I thought, would remind my of my mom. She had been there and loved it, but Ireland didn't have this effect on me.

It's difficult to discribe. I remember hearing Liz Curtis Higgs talk about Scotland and her love for it. I didn't really get what she meant until now.


We arrived not long before sunset. A mist was rolling in over the mountains and the sun was beginning to set.

Today we visited Balmoral Castle. It's where the royal family go on holiday.


Queen Victoria purchased it for Prince Albert and spoke about how much her Highland getaway meant to her. I can understand why. The estate is 50,000 acres. We're currently staying on the Isle of Skye which is 20,000. That really puts things into perspective. The grounds, the gardens were all undisappointingly beautiful.

It was at Balmoral that the weight, the value of the trip hit us all. We had a wonderful, tearfilled moment because we are so thankful and so amazed that we are actually here!

After leavinng Balmoral, we drove throught the Highlands. Amazing, rugged, peaks. All this with the bagpipes playing an accompaniment in the background. At the risk of sounding like Drew Barrymore, "it was magical".

We arrived at our B&B early, which was so nice. Our view is absolutely breath-taking.


Am I really here? Can this be real??

Off to the pub for fish and chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!