Thursday, May 1, 2014

Thursday, May 1st

Today was a brilliant day. We began our day with breakfast and this view.


After breakfast we lounged in our jammies in common room. There wasn't anyone else staying so we had the place to ourselves. We had one of those talks that only women with decades of history can have. We shared from our hearts and the depths of our soul. It was a sacred space and time.

We're staying another night here on the Isle of Skye and in this B&B, so we can leave our luggage. It feels like a luxury to not have our car packed to the brim.

Like all the other drives in Scotland, the view was a-mazing. Unfortunately my iPad was charging and I didn't have it with me. So I'll have to post pictures from that later.

We made our way to Taliskers Distillery. Again, pictures to come later. They were having a busy day and we needed to wait for about an hour and half before we could take a tour. So we made our way down the road a wee bit to the The Old Inn pub for coffee and tea. It was grand to have a moment to sit and soak in the local atmosphere. At one point, there were a couple of local men behind us talking. I turn to look at them and when I turn back round to my group, we were all sitting there with silly grins on our faces....loving every moment of it.

Our B&B host, Fiona, had mentioned a Fairy Forest, at least that is what I heard her say. I asked the gentleman at Taliskers where the Fairy Forest was. He looked at me strangely (not the first strange look I've gotten this trip). He said there were fairy pools, but a forest. He asked someone else about a Fairy Forest and she said the fairy pools and also said there was a Fairy Glen north in Uig (oo-ig). I said maybe that's it and just translated glen to forest.

It wasn't much later I heard my sister (who wasn't with me when I was asking) asking the very same man about the Fairy Forest. I said, "oh, she's my sister." We had a good laugh about it. He asked if we were taking the tour, we said we were at 3:20. He said, "oh, no that's my tour." He was very fun.

The tour was quite interesting. So many processes and so much time to make scotch whiskey. One fun fact we learned was in order to be called Scotch, it has to be made in Scotland and age in wooden barrel for three years.

We had a dram at the end of the tour... It was quite good.

After spending lots of time it the shop after, getting good advice from our new friend, we were off back to Kyleakin (kia-lahkin). We'd been travelling for nearly a week and it was time to do laundry.

We went to the next town, started our laundry and headed for the pub for dinner. We all had some of the local fish and seafood. 

Finally, we were on our way back to the B&B for rest and to ready to head to Edinburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!