Monday, May 5, 2014

Saturday, May 3rd

My sistere and I met for breakfast at Rhubarb, Prestonfield house. We both had Eggs Benedict with duck eggs, ham and potato biscuits. It was so rich and so good.

The kilted Scottish lads brought our luggage down to the car and we were off to the airport.

What a difference driving Saturday morning versus Friday after can make! We were to the airport in no time.

We turned on our rental (our Audi:) and headed to check in for our flight.

When we flew from Dublin to Edinburgh, we were told that our first bag was free, but we would be charged €50/kg for the second bag. In the end, she didn't charge us anything. I think she took compassion on us because we hadn't flown Aer Lingus from the US. 

That experience made me a bit leery about our Virgin Atlantic flight from Edinburgh to London. Again, they must have taken compassion on us because they did not charge us for our extra bags!!

I hadn't flown Virgin before. It reminded me of the show PanAm about when that airline started. All the flight attendance were smartly dress and had their hair styled the same. It was quite a good experience.

When we landed in London, we got our bags and headed to car rentals. As we approached the car rental desk, we were near arrivals and someone young and famous must have arrived. All the sudden about a hundred your girls screamed at the top of their lungs and began to scurry about the terminal. Since I don't know that many famous, young Brits, I'm going to say it was One Direction. At least that'll make for a good story.

After decided to upgrade our car to a Volvo XC60 (we have an indecent amount of luggage), we began our journey to Oxford. We were hoping to go to the place where C.S. Lewis penned some of his works. Unfortunately, everything ran behind and we arrived in Oxford later than expected. The C.S. Lewis walk we had hoped to do was an on-line itinerary. Not knowing that, we hadn't printed it. So, we decided to wander about Oxford.

One souvenir request I had gotten was for "something Narnia". Unfortunately, they didn't have anything Narnia. It was all Harry Potter (which I'm not a particular fan of). However, I did find a book of chronicles C.S. Lewis wrote before he wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. It's call the Boxen. I'm hoping it'll suffice. 

My aunt is a big Inspector Morse/Lewis fan, so we decided to take lunch/supper at The Trout Inn just outside of Oxford. It was delightfully located along a river. It was a gorgeous day, so we even got to sit outside. 

Finally, we were off to our B&B, The Jays. I had emailed back and forth a bit with the owner and I'm very excited to meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!