Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tuesday, May 6th

Today we went to Highclere Castle.

I was so giddy. My feelings can best be expressed by this picture.


We drove up the driveway listening to the Downton Abbey theme.

I got teary. There I admitted it.

It was a very surreal, post-modern feeling to walk through a place I have seen so much and come to learn so much about.

Not only did I get to see where Downton Abbey is filmed, but I also got to see where Lady Almina and Lady Catherine lived (the current (8th) Countess of Canarvon wrote books about the 5th & 6th Countess of Canarvons). 

It was just an absolutely, perfect, exceeded my expectations kind of day.


It looks quite small from the car park.



Another very fun part of the day was meeting my Facebook friend Teresa. We started chatting on the Highclere Castle Facebook page back in November when we were trying to get tickets. We ended up getting tickets for the same day. I had morning. She had "arvo". I'm told that's Aussie for afternoon.

I was't sure we'd be able to find each other, but just as we were preparing to leave, I heard someone calling my name. Sure enough it was Teresa calling for me. Quite instictively, I dropped my bags and ran toward her. It was such fun to meet her in person after chatting for the last few months via Facebook. I even got to meet her two sisters with whom she is travelling.


Tonight we're settling into our flat in London. We're all pretty spent. Better get some rest before the final leg of our journey begins. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!