Monday, May 5, 2014

Monday, May 5th

Breakfast at Thornbury 


After awaking to the view above, we gathered in the courtyard below for breakfast.


Could there be a better way to begin a day? The sun was shining warm on us and because it was a bit windy, no one else ventured outside. 

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

From Thornbury, we were next on to Bath. I didn't want to carry my iPad with me, so picture will again have to wait.

Driving in Bath was a nightmare. The roads were so confusing. I kept driving in circles and even ended up going the wrong way on a one way. There was a very nice Englishman who told be to just wave my arms and yell, "I'm an American! I'm an American!" We all had a good laugh about it. However, I don't think I needed to yell or even wave my arms. I think it was plain to see how American I am.

When we finally got the car parked, we eventually found our way to the Roman Baths and Pump House. The Roman Baths are believed to be from about 70AD. It was amazing to see something just a few decades after Christ's death and resurrection.

As if we didn't stick out enough, we decided to take the open double-decker bus tour through town. It was really a grand idea and we were all glad we did it.

We got off at the stop nearest the Jane Austen Centre. I had been to it 12 years ago when I was over here for the first time. It has changed so much for the better since then. The displays and talks were so much better than I remember them. The best part was reliving parts of one of my favorite Jane Austen books "Persuasion". Such fun.

It was time to get back on the tour bus and complete our tour of the city.

After dinner in the Crystal Palace Pub, we were headed to The Yew Tree Pub in Highclere for our final sleep before Highclere Castle.


We decided to spend a little time in the pub for drinks and dessert in this cozy cove.


What a lovely way to cap off our evening...

I hope I'm able to sleep tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!